Often businesses don’t have an environmental policy. When they are asked by a customer or supplier for a copy it’s a bit of a shock. If this is you – don’t panic! An environmental policy for the average small business should be quite simple.
It should set our your goals and show what you are doing to go greener. You don’t have to be a cutting edge green warrior to write a good policy – you are probably doing more good work than you realise. As you’ll have learned from our top 10 green business tips, green business is all about being efficient with resources and minimising costs – it’s good business practice.
Here is a template for an environmental policy to fit a small business. Feel free to use this for your business. Just replace the BLOCK ITALIC TEXT with information on your own company, and check that the action points are accurate – adjust these to suit what you are doing and what you plan to do.
You should review your Environmental Policy once a year and update the action points to reflect the work you are doing and have done.
If you have any queries about writing your environmental policy then get in touch.
YOUR COMPANY NAME
YOUR COMPANY NAME is a INSERT COMPANY STATUS (REGISTERED COMPANY / CHARITY ETC) which INSERT A BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF COMPANY ACTIVITIES .
We are aware that our activities have an impact on the environment and seek to minimise this. We respect the principle of Sustainable Development and aim to work in a way that meets the needs of today’s generation whilst ensuring that future generations can also meet their needs.
We are committed to
- Complying and keeping up to date with environmental legislation
- Preventing pollution
- Continually working to reduce our environmental impacts – minimising waste produced, minimising our energy use, training staff and encouraging greener transport options
Specific areas where we are working to reduce our environmental footprint:
- Working with our staff and building users to make all of the building’s operations as environmentally friendly as we can, heating and lighting our premises efficiently
- Investigating how much waste we generate, using segregation to enable higher rates of recycling
- Looking at how people travel to and from our site: encouraging public transport and cycling
- Looking at what we buy – sourcing goods with low environmental impact and working with local suppliers wherever possible
We will review this Environmental policy annually to check it is up to date and to make sure we are looking at new areas for improvement.
Signed NAMED PERSON for COMPANY NAME